Real Food Waffles

I like to cook real food, not just junk posing as breakfast. Here's a waffle recipe I enjoy. First I'll put the basic recipe, then the way I alter it (seeing as how I find it impossible to follow a recipe). These are not at all like a frozen waffle. If your kids have been trained to accept only junk food waffles, they might turn their noses up at these. Bonus tip: If you have a baby, raise them up on good homemade food. Your life will be so much less expensive later. I usually make them in a vintage Vitantonio Belgian waffle iron, but Sunbeam made a great waffle iron, too.

"Real Food Waffles" made with a vintage Vitantonio Belgian waffle maker.
Real Food Waffles

Dry ingredients:

1 1/2 c quick oats
1/2 c white flour
1/2 c wheat flour
1 t salt
1 T baking powder
2 t cinnamon

Wet ingredients:

1 1/2 c milk
1 egg, beaten
1 T honey or molasses
2 T oil

Mix and cook. The recipe also works for pancakes.

Here are some substitutions to make it either cheaper, more healthful, or more convenient:

Extra zucchini to use up? No problem!
*Switch out the flours for all whole wheat or all white.
*Switch out honey or molasses for sugar or brown sugar (allowing for a more complete premade mix).
*Rolled oats put in a food processor for a short time instead of quick oats.
*Powdered milk instead of regular milk (allowing for a more complete premade mix), or water instead of milk.
*1/4 c ground flax seeds instead of an egg (allowing for a more complete premade mix).
*Shredded zucchini, applesauce, or pumpkin puree, etc instead of oil.
*You can also use up leftover liquid from canned fruit and skip the sweetener.

If you enjoyed this post, I'd love for you to comment and follow my blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to have your comments and reflections!